Skip to Content

Are Monstera Plants Toxic To Dogs? [ Here’s The Answer ]

Are Monstera Plants Toxic To Dogs? [ Here’s The Answer ]

If you are an indoor gardener, you have probably heard a lot about Monstera plants. Because, when it comes to the houseplant with uniquely patterned foliage, it is another familiar name.

Each member of this family features gorgeous leaves with stunning patterns. The appearance of the indoor plant can behold anyone.

But, if you set aside the divine look of the Monstera plant, it is one of the most toxic herbs living. So, if you have dogs or little kids in your house, it will not be a great idea to decorate your household with some ornamental Monstera.

Are Monstera plants toxic to dogs?

Yes, the Monstera plant is deadly for the pups, and your dog can show severe symptoms of allergies after getting into contact with the herb. Monstera deliciosa or the Swiss cheese plant is a gigantic indoor plant. Since the herb is native to several tropical islands, it will bring a tropical vibe to your household.

But, this blooming beauty is highly toxic for pets and children, especially for the mongrels. So, if the pet accidentally consumes any part of the plant, it can suffer from irritation, pain, vomiting, and even extreme drooling.

Even though the Swiss cheese plant belongs to the tropical region, you can grow this robust beauty across the globe.

The plant is as popular as a houseplant only because of its divine appearance. As every Monstera plant features magnificent flowers against the backdrop of patterned green foliage, the herb alone can elevate the look of your adobe.

But, surprisingly, the plant holds a poisonous nature behind the aesthetic look.

According to several studies and research, the Monstera herb is one of the most toxic plants that will affect pets and even human beings.

Although the toxicity of the herb seems mild in the case of people, the indoor plant can be deadly for your furry friends.

The news is undoubtedly heartbreaking as many pet parents love to keep the Monstera plant in their households only to enhance the beauty of their rooms.

The plant is a rare beauty for several reasons. Firstly, you will find no other houseplants that feature foliage with leaf holes. For a unique design, people call the herb Swiss-cheese plant.

It might seem unbelievable that this tropical beauty can be so deadly for pets, specifically for pups. If you reside in a tropical climate, you can even notice the plant grows some edible fruits.

Still, the herb can produce florets and fruits indoors only if they get the proper care.

So, it is normal for your pet dog to get near the stunning plant and even start consuming some parts of the plant playfully.

Since the chewing part is quite natural for mischievous mongrels, little do they know how dangerous the gorgeous houseplant can be for them.

The plant is so toxic that the dogs can get severely sick. If your pup consumes any section of the indoor plant, it can show several symptoms.

The signs can include pain, swelling of the tongue and several body parts, vomiting, dehydration, severe allergic reaction, unnatural drooling, difficulty in breathing and swallowing.

If you feel your dog is acting weird or showing any of these symptoms, immediately call for medical help.

Check out Monstera plants here

Also read:

  1. How often should you water monstera
  2. Are monstera plants considered as lucky

Reasons why monstera is toxic to dogs

The only component that makes the monstera a toxic houseplant is calcium oxalate crystal. ASPCA has listed the indoor plant as one of the most poisonous herbs due to the excessive presence of harmful chemicals in the shrub.

If you examine the plant under a microscope, you will see how CaOX is present in every cell and vascular tube of the Monstera plant.

The tree uses the deadly particle for maintaining the internal calcium level and weaponizes the chemical against herbivores.

As we have mentioned earlier, this tropical beauty has a strong appeal that lures anyone towards it. So, along with human beings, the Monstera shrub also attracts countless herbivorous animals.

It is natural for the animals to get allured by the stunning foliage with a patterned look. So, the magnificent plant follows a defense mechanism to survive.

Since only the fittest can exist, the aesthetic plant needs to deter the potential attackers. That is why the Monstera plant features toxicity only to prevent the animals from feeding on it.

Calcium oxalate crystal is a deadly particle that can disrupt the internal system of your dog. If your dog somehow manages to consume any part of the plant, the pup can face the worst consequences.

The crystals, after ingestion, can cause irritation and a burning sensation at first. At that time, if your dog does not get medical help at the earliest, the situation will worsen.

Sometimes, any delay in seeking medical treatment can lead to the death of your furry partner.

If we discuss the calcium oxalate crystal, it will be easier to comprehend the whole matter. Since this chemical particle makes the gorgeous plant poisonous for dogs, you need to know about the material.

CaOX is born inside the Monstera plant and forms the shape of a needle. The primary function of the material is to regulate the calcium level in the houseplant.

Besides, the component deters the herbivores by doing a poisonous reaction to them. Since the Monstera shrub attracts animals with its stunning foliage, only toxicity can prevent the attackers from eating the plant.

So, calcium oxalate crystals turn the gorgeous indoor plant deadly for animals, including dogs. Even the herb is mildly toxic for human beings too.

So, if a gardener has a weak immune system, the Monstera plant will not be a perfect choice for the person. You will find thousands of plants that contain calcium oxalate crystals, but only a few of them are deadly poisonous.

It is because of the amount of CaOX the herb holds. The higher the quantity is, the higher the toxicity level of the plant.

Since the Monstera plant features the component in high concentration, consumption of the herb instantly results in irritation and burning. Plus, if the dog does not get early treatment, the situation will worsen.

Recommended read:

  1. Are monstera plants considered as expensive?

What if my dog eats monstera?

If your dog consumes any section of the Monstera plant, it will show some poisoning symptoms. As we have mentioned earlier, this tropical beauty is one of the most toxic plants. Even though the plant causes some mild lethal reactions to humans, most pets get affected by the houseplant.

If you own a pup, you will notice how deadly your Monstera plant is to the dog. You may ask why the plant is more dangerous to dogs. The answer is dogs tend to chew on everything.

As a result of this habit, they do not even spare indoor plants. If an indoor gardener has a four-legged member in the house, he often discovers the pup eating the plants as some snacks.

Now, the Monstera shrub contains a toxic particle named calcium oxalate crystal mainly to deter the herbivores.

So, when your dog consumes any section of the tropical plant, CaOX enters its body. The particle is deadly for any animal, even for a mongrel, and also starts working quickly after ingestion.

If your dog eats the Monstera herb, it will show several poisoning symptoms like an extreme burning feeling in the mouth, throat, tongue, and around the lip area.

In severe cases, the dog can experience difficulty in swallowing. Even if you notice excessive drooling in your pup after the ingestion, do not overlook the signs. It can be the effect of the consumption of the Monstera plant.

If your dog consumes a large portion of the appealing plant, the symptoms can be severe. In that case, your pet can experience stomach upset, rapid gasping for air, or difficulty in breathing.

Dyspnea can make your loving pet unconscious if it does not get medical treatment in time.

If your dog shows any of the above symptoms or acts weird after consuming the plant, do not delay calling for medical help.

Any delay can make the situation worse and even lead to renal failure of the mongrel. Even long exposure to the plant can make your pet fall ill. As CaOX is a poisonous particle, it can cause liver and kidney damage in your dog.

A large amount of consumption of the houseplant can even lead to coma in the case of your pup.

So, try to keep your four-legged member away from the elegant Monstera plant. Also, if you notice your pet eating the plant, immediately head to the vet. Any delay can lead to the death of your furry partner.

Also read:

  1. Are monstera plants toxic to birds? Here’s the answer

Bottom line

Hopefully, our article has made it clear how poisonous Monstera plants can be for dogs. We know how hard it is to resist yourself from getting the aesthetic plant in your household.

But, if something is deadly for your pet children, it will be better not to keep that in the house. Still, many pet parents keep the herb in hanging pots so that their dogs cannot reach the plant.

But remember, even long-time exposure to the calcium oxalate crystal can make your lovely pup fall sick. If you have the Monstera plant outdoors, keep your dog away from it.