Skip to Content

Is Jade Plant Edible? [ For Humans And Animals ]

You might be curious about whether a jade plant is edible or not. Do not look any further since you have come to the right place, as you will find all the answers to all your questions related to Jade plants and their edibility below.

Not just that, you will also gain all the required knowledge about Jade plants and whether they are toxic or not, and their relation to animals as well.

Anyway, what are jade plants? Jade plants, logically known as Crassula Ovata, otherwise called fortune plants or cash plants, are among the most well-known house plants worldwide.

It is a little plant, sharing specific elements to aloe vera on account of its characteristics and nature.

The Jade Plant starts from the African Continent, explicitly from the southern areas, including South Africa and Mozambique.

Despite its low maintenance and thriving nature, this plant acquired significant notoriety as an ideal houseplant, even without normal consideration. This is an evergreen plant and has thick branches alongside shiny leaves to supplement its looks.

It is known as the Jade plant because of its sparkling and smooth leaves, which are green in shading, and hold a meaningful likeness to the shading radiated by the jade stones.

The jade plant is a famous house plant and doesn’t need a lot of consideration from people.

Even though the plant is evergreen, it adjusts to its environmental elements in no time, relying upon the degree of sunlight it receives and the measure of water and sustenance it gets.

These characteristics of the jade plant may make you wonder whether the jade plant is edible or not. In case you are thinking about it, continue reading.

Is a jade plant edible?

No, The jade plant is not edible. It is a mildly toxic plant that can cause an upset stomach and nausea when consumed. It is much more harmful to older people and kids and must be kept away at all times.

This plant is considered to have minor toxicity and causes dermatitis, which is when the plant’s spa or juice nuggets on your skin can cause rash and irritation.

It is a great plant to have as your house plant but not a great option for consumption.

This is like most of the other succulent plants and is not fit for consumption.

Even though it bears pretty pink and white flowers, none of these parts should be consumed since all of them can cause an upset stomach and nausea. This plant is even more toxic when consumed by animals. To know more, continue reading below.

Also read:

  1. Do people consider the jade plant a luck plant?

What happens if you eat a jade plant?

Since you know you should not consume jade plants since they have a toxic characteristic, you might be wondering what happens when you consume jade plants.

So on eating plants, firstly, you would suffer from swelling around the mouth, tongue, and throat, which is caused by the sap of the jade plant. Secondly, your skin may become red from that, and you might experience an irritating and burning sensation because of the plant’s sap.

After consumption, Jade plants can irritate your stomach as well as nausea and other symptoms.

In extreme cases, it might be necessary to call upon a doctor for appropriate treatment.

Moreover, wherever the plant’s sap has come in contact with your body, it would cause swelling and redness because of it. So it is advised not to consume or come in contact with the sap of jade plants.

Also read:

  1. Is jade plant good for your bedroom?

Are jade plant leaves poisonous?

Now that you know plants are quite toxic and harmful to come in contact with, you might be wondering, are they poisonous, and if so, how poisonous is it? The Jade plant is not poisonous as such but instead shows mild toxic reactions from the sap. It is used for homeopathic remedies in various parts across the world and is not poisonous.

Depending on the number of jade plants you consume, it should not be fatal in most cases because it lacks poison.

Just because these plants are not poisonous, it does not mean they are safe to consume, since the problems caused by the consumption of jade plants are much severe and irritating and should be avoided at all costs if you are planning to have good experience with jade plants. Now that you know they are not poisonous, you might wonder how toxic they are towards animals.

Is the Jade plant toxic to animals?

Yes, Jade plants are highly toxic to animals. Therefore, you must keep your pets and animals far away from Jade plants. Similar to other succulents, Jade plants are quite toxic to animals and can have profound effects on them, including vomiting, diarrhea, dizziness, and lack of coordination.

It has also been noticed that consuming jade pants can cause depression in animals. On the off chance that your animal or pet has come in contact with jade pants or consumed any, you can determine it quite easily through signs of excessive drooling or scratching, which is caused due to the sap of jade plants.

Not just that, symptoms of consuming jade plants in animals also include lethargy and abdominal pain, which is one of the severe symptoms and can also be supplemented alongside rashes.

Therefore, it is highly advised to take your pet or animal to a veterinarian if you notice such symptoms or your pet has consumed any jade plants.


  1. Why does your jade plant have small leaves? Know the reasons


In conclusion, you should not ingest any amount of jade plants or come in direct contact with its sap.

If you do, you might have to suffer from an upset stomach, and if it happens to any kid or older person, they might have to suffer from nausea as well as swelling across their mouth and throat.

It is quite an irritating experience to consume jade plants and is advised to be avoided.

Keeping your pets and animals such as horses away from jade plants is highly recommended since it is more toxic towards them and can cause even more severe effects.

Going to a doctor or veterinarian is always recommended if you or your pet consumes any jade plant or its sap to receive appropriate treatment.